Position: Teacher Assistant
Starting Date: ASAP
Reports To: Head of Department/Principal
Department: Nursery & Kindergarten / Elementary School
A Teacher Assistant is primarily responsible for assisting the Homeroom/Subject Teacher with the teaching and learning that is happening in the classroom. The Teacher Assistant must therefore ensure the safety and well a being of all students under his/her supervision at all times. It is expected that the Teacher Assistant will work collaboratively with grade a level and/or department teacher(s) to maintain an environment where the students’ and teachers’ needs are met equitably. It should be further understood that although the Teacher Assistant’s responsibilities are multiple and varied, unexpected emergencies or circumstances may arise that require him/her to perform additional duties, as assigned by the President/Head of Department/Principal.
Position Details and Responsibilities
• Completes a variety of administrative tasks for the President/Head of Department/Principal including: managing an extremely active calendar of appointments; completing reports; composing and preparing correspondence that is sometimes confidential; arranging meetings and preparing agendas; and compiling documents for related meetings.
• Demonstrates knowledge of classroom content and pedagogy in order to assist with the teaching and learning in the classroom.
• Helps with providing differentiated learning experiences for students, as directed by the teacher (i.e., working with individual students or small groups).
• Understands and supports the classroom management procedures, routines, and philosophy.
• Demonstrates understanding and sensitivity to the academic, physical, social, and emotional needs of the age group.
• Assists with the development of a nurturing environment of respect and rapport, both within and outside of the classroom.
• Actively shows initiative and/or seeks direction and help with regard to assisting with the teaching and learning in the classroom.
• Interacts respectfully with all NIVA community members and communicates with colleagues in a constructive, honest, and positive manner.
• Demonstrates understanding and initiative surrounding the use of technology and relevant software programs.
• Participates regularly in an assigned duty roster rotation before school, during morning and lunch recesses, as well as during periodic afternoon recess times.
• Closely monitors and interacts with students while on the playground to ensure student safety. Reports any incidents that may jeopardize student safety to the Homeroom/Subject Teacher and Head Department or Principal.
• Maintains strict confidentiality of all student records and teacher conversations.
• Enforces and ensures compliance with school regulations pertaining to security, safety, and the proper usage of school property.
• Ensures compliance with all school policies and procedures as they relate to the Teacher Assistant’s job responsibilities.
Position Details and Responsibilities
• Assists with the preparation of learning materials (e.g., photocopying, laminating, labeling, bulletin board setup, ordering supplies, etc.).
• Attends the school trainings, seminar, activities, and meetings;
• “The Section/Department Meeting”, chaired by the the President/Head of Department/Principal to review the performance and to be briefed on upcoming projects.
• “Staff Meeting”, chaired by Principal/HR and attended by all staffs, to be updated on the most current operational issues, new School Policies, etc..
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Attributes
• A bachelor’s degree, preferably in education
• Teaching License (preferred)
• Experience supporting teaching and learning in a school setting
• Excellent spoken and written English language skills
• For non-native speakers, preferred an English Language Proficiency score from one of the following:
TOEFL®: iBT 80, CBT 213, or PBT 550
• Practical knowledge of IT equipment and software to support learning